Pine trees are popular for landscaping because of their beautiful, evergreen needles and sturdy branches. Besides being attractive additions to any property, pine trees have many practical uses. For example, they can provide shade from the sun in the summer or a windbreak during the winter months.
They also produce cones that make beautiful decorations. However, even with all these benefits, there is one downside: if you don’t care for the roots properly, your tree won’t flourish.
What Are Pine Tree Roots and What Do They Do?
Pine tree roots grow deep into the soil, searching for water and nutrients. They also anchor the tree in place and help to store food reserves. The length of a pine tree’s roots can vary depending on the soil type.
The deeper the soil, the longer the roots will be. Most are about five to twenty feet, depending on the size and age of the tree. However, in dry or sandy soil with fewer nutrients, they can grow much longer.
Some pine tree roots have been known to reach a depth of 40 feet or more. If you have a pine tree close to your home, the roots can sometimes cause damage to sidewalks, driveways, and foundations. That’s why it’s essential to plant your tree within enough distance from your home to provide shade but not cause any damage.
Can Pine Tree Roots Damage Septic Systems?
Pine tree roots can also be a problem for septic systems. If they grow too close, they can clog the system or even cause it to fail. Install septic systems with enough distance from pine trees (and any other type of tree) to protect them from damage.
For problems with your septic system or any other underground plumbing and pine tree roots, you’ll need to contact a professional tree service. The company can inspect the area and develop a plan to remove the roots or entire tree to prevent damage to your septic system or provide the space to make repairs. Don’t fix a septic system with punctures or other damage on your own.
You could end up making the problem worse and costing yourself a lot of money. Instead, consult with a plumbing service to get the help you need.
How Far Should Pine Trees Be Planted From Your Home?
How far you should plant pine trees from your home depends on several factors. You want the trees for shade and privacy. However, you don’t want the roots to cause any damage to your home.
Consult with an arborist to get their professional opinion on how far away from your home is to plant your pine trees. Though a good rule of thumb is to plant them at least 10 feet away from your home, it might be necessary to plant them even further away. For example, if you have a septic system, you’ll need to give the roots plenty of space to grow.
Also, living in an area prone to heavy winds might require a greater distance between your home and the trees. When planting pine trees, be sure to consider their mature size. You don’t want to add a small tree and then have to move it a few years later because it’s grown too large.
As part of your planning, remember that soil conditions and climate can also influence how far away you should plant the trees.
Other Considerations When Planting Pine Trees
The roots will grow toward water and nutrients. When you are planting a pine tree, be sure to take this into account. If you have a garden or other plants near the tree, the roots will invade and take over the area.
Also, the pines and plants will compete for water and nutrients, which can be detrimental to both health of both. Don’t forget about the sun. Although it won’t affect the roots, it will determine the direction the tree will grow.
You don’t want to have to trim branches regularly to keep them from blocking the windows or damaging the roof.
Pine Trees Are an Excellent Addition to Any Landscape
In the end, it’s important to remember that pine tree roots can be a problem if not taken into consideration. You can avoid any potential damage by planting them the proper distance away from your home and considering their root system. Pine trees are a beautiful addition to any property, but it’s essential to consider their roots.
These long, deep roots can cause damage if not planted correctly. By following these tips, you can enjoy the shade and privacy a pine tree provides without worrying about the damage its roots might cause.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only