Porcupines don’t hibernate, so they need to prepare for cold months, especially since they can be found in places that get very cold in the winter, such as Alaska. They start the winter with as much as half their weight being fat. With the knowledge of the warmer places to bed down, help from a thick undercoat, and this added fat, they can get through most winter conditions.
These prickly little critters have developed a complete routine to keep themselves warm. Let’s take a look.
Biologist Jessy Coltrane spent time in Alaska studying the porcupines for a paper. She monitored several of these little creatures and made the discovery that at least fifty percent of the weight they carried going into winter was fat. Throughout the winter, they moved very little, reserving their energy and living off that stored fat when they were unable to get out to eat.
In order to reserve as much energy as possible, they moved very rarely and did sleep a lot.
The coat is a porcupine and is multi-layered. It consists of a wooly undercoat that is made up of soft hairs. This coat is covered with coarse guard hairs that help protect the porcupine itself.
Then the areas of its back, tail, and sides are covered with quills, which are hollow, allowing for the air inside to be warmer from its body heat. Normally, the body temperature of a porcupine is that of humans, and scientists have discovered that both hot and cold temperatures don’t cause it to vary much because of this protection. In addition, many types of porcupines grow an additional layer of fur on the outside that looks like a wooly winter coat and adds protection from the cold.
Porcupines are very fond of living in trees but during the winter they seek out areas that can protect them from the wind, keeping them warmer. They have a preference for rocky ledges with crevices but will also utilize hollow trees or the deserted dens of beavers and other animals. For those who live further up a mountain, they may wander down into a valley for more protection.
They venture no more than 100 meters from wherever they are living. You can often find a well-worn trail that they lough out that leads from their den to a food source and they will often feed on the same tree over a long time. If it is raining or snowing, they will stay inside until the weather settles.
Warmth in Numbers
These prickly animals normally prefer their alone time unless mating. However, they do make exceptions in winter. If the weather is very cold, you can find groups of them sharing the same den and providing warmth for each other with shared body heat. This is especially true in areas that have nearby evergreen trees.
Pine needles are poisonous to most animals, but the porcupine is able to digest them with only a bit more energy. At a time when food is scarce, this makes for an ideal situation. Come spring, however, they will all go their separate ways and look for more appetizing food.
I Want Salt!
Speaking of food, porcupines normally crave salt and can’t normally find it in the things they eat on a regular basis. This means they will seek out salt. In the summer, they can find that salt in aquatic plants they are willing to swim out to.
In winter, that isn’t an option. For those who live near human developments, they may wander down and chew on items that may have traces of human sweat, such as boat oars and wooden rake handles. One thing they find very appealing is the wheels of motor vehicles and any other things that run on winter roads.
These things are great sources of the road salt that we put out to melt ice. More than one person has gone out and found that their car tires have been attacked by this docile animal that wouldn’t normally attack first.
Porcupines are one of the smaller animals we have the pleasure of sharing our world with. These fairly docile creatures are also smart and adaptable. If you should happen to be out and about on a winter’s day and see one, you will know how it manages to survive even the coldest weather.
Know that a porcupine won’t harm you if you leave it alone. Your tires, on the other hand, may not be so lucky!
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only