Porcupines are great swimmers. That is, some breeds of them are. The North American porcupine, the crested porcupine, and the brush-tailed porcupines all love swimming!
You can go for a walk in a wooded area and probably wouldn’t be surprised to come across a porcupine nibbling on leaves or berries. Having one fall out of a tree might surprise you for a minute, but you wouldn’t think it out of place.
However, can you imagine walking along a beach or taking a swim and coming across one of these prickly critters passing you? It just might happen.
The Nature of Porcupines
Porcupines live in many different areas but normally stick with areas where they can climb trees or find roots and other small areas to hide in. While they have great protection with all those quills, these animals are by nature very docile and prefer not to fight. On land, they are clumsy and slow.
Normally, they are satisfied with the food they can find where they live. Like humans, however, they may get cravings for a certain delicacy that can only be found in water and they will set off to find it. In the water, they are quite agile and move quickly.
How Porcupines Swim
The average porcupine has over 30,000 quills covering its back, legs, and tail. Each of these quills is actually hollow inside and very lightweight. The hollow space is filled with air and this allows the quills to float.
With so many attached to the porcupine’s body, they work like little life jackets and keep it afloat. It probably doesn’t hurt that their little round bodies would also lend themselves to buoyancy! Once the porcupine is afloat, it can use its paws like a dog paddling in the water.
This moves him ahead and helps him control the direction he wants to head in.
Why Porcupines Swim
It is possible that some porcupines just like being in the water. It can cool them in the summer and they are less likely to be bothered by predators. We haven’t found one that can communicate this idea, however, so we can only guess the main reasons they like to swim.
These animals find the taste of aquatic plants, such as arrowheads and water lilies especially delicious. They often have a salty taste and porcupines crave salt. If the porcupine wants these plants, they have to swim in order to get them.
Many times, they will eat while they are still in the water, but at other times they will carry the plants back to their dens where they eat the plants later or offer them to their young ones who can’t yet forage for themselves.
Another reason that a porcupine will choose to swim while it is foraging is that there is less competition for food and it is less likely to be approached by another animal that is set on harming it. Out in the water, the porcupine can relax and feel safer as it tries to satisfy its hunger.
Where Do They Swim?
You probably won’t find a porcupine swimming in an ocean or even one of the Great Lakes because the waves would be too harsh for them. These animals would prefer calm waters such as a pond or gently flowing stream or creek. Most porcupines sleep during the day and go out at night, so they will stick closer to shore or only swim when the night is bright.
They do not have very good eyesight, so they will avoid busy areas. You are also more likely to find the porcupine in an area with high grass or cattails so they have a ready place to hide.
Not a Common Thing
There are very few species of porcupines that actually enjoy being in the water. The North American porcupine is one of these. The other two that like to swim are the crested and brush-tailed porcupines.
All porcupines have the ability to float, however, and may enter water as a way to escape an attack. Remember, these docile creatures will always attempt to escape rather than fight whenever they get the opportunity.
Wrapping It Up
There you have it. If one day you take a trip down to the local pond and happen to see a little floating creature with prickly spines sharing the water, enjoy watching but keep your distance.
Remember, he still has his quills and can still go to battle if necessary, but why would you want him to when he’s simply taking a quiet retreat to enjoy a favorite delicacy without the stress of being attacked?
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only