You can tell the difference between a moose, elk, or deer mainly by their size and their antlers. These aren’t the only differences. Hopefully, by the time we are done exploring, you will be able to tell them apart with confidence.
The first thing we need to emphasize is that while all moose and all elk are deer, not all deer are moose or elk. Let’s get started!
All three of these animals belong to a class of animals called Cervids. You can think of these three as cousins. They are all cud-chewing plant-eaters. All three have hooves and the males of each species grow antlers throughout the spring and summer that they shed in the fall.
The antlers tend to grow larger every year until the animal has reached its prime. All three animals have a four-chambered stomach. This allows them to be able to store food when it is plentiful and then go somewhere safe to finish their meal.
They bring the food back up from the “storage” section and eat it. Now let’s take a look at the differences.
Moose vs Elk vs Deer –Telling Them Apart
You can get an idea of which animal you are about to meet before you even see one. Both the deer and the moose have heart-shaped footprints with rounded edges, while the elk has a print that is shaped more tooth-shaped, with pointed ends. Because the moose is so much bigger than the deer, its prints will be larger and sink deeper into the ground as it walks.
In addition, you will normally find several sets of prints if it is deer and only one if you are about to find a moose.
Deer are the smallest of these three. They stand about four feet tall at their shoulders and are often tan. Some species, like the white-tailed deer, have bright white on their tails.
They normally range from 100 to 300 pounds. They have the longest tails of the three species. The snout is long and narrow with a rounded nose.
Moose are the largest of the three. These impressive animals can grow to be five to seven feet at the shoulder and weigh from 800 to 1000 pounds. Moose are normally dark brown in color, often appearing black.
They have the shortest tails of the three. Moose have a “beard” under their chin that is called a bell and it can grow to be a foot long. Both males and females have this feature.
A cylindrical snout and rounded nose grace their faces. Moose have a very slight hum around the shoulder area. The elk is somewhere in the middle in regards to their size.
The average elk stands four to five feet tall. They can weigh anything from 700 to 900 pounds. The fur of the elk is light brown on females and tannish on males.
Elk have a pointy nose attached to a cone-shaped snout. They also have a shaggy tuft of fur around their neck that is often a darker color than the rest of their fur.
Habitat and Eating Habits
While these three may find themselves sharing the same areas, each species prefers a different environment. Deer are found in most places and they love grassy meadows where it is easy to hide. These animals are the only ones that graze when they eat, so the tall grass allows them that advantage.
You will find these social creatures living in herds. Elk also prefer living in herds, but they prefer steep mountains with valleys. In the summer, they roam higher in the mountains and then descend into the valleys for protection in the winter.
They browse to eat. This means you will catch them nibbling on trees and bushes. Elk are the least picky eaters of these three and can often find something they are willing to eat.
Moose can’t digest grass but they are browsers like elk, so they find leaves and berries. They prefer colder environments and will spend summer months cooling off in the water. They prefer being able to live near rivers, streams, and lakes with willows.
The moose is an excellent swimmer and loves to feed on aquatic plants it can find. Moose live alone and you won’t normally find them around others except during mating season. They can swim up to 6 miles per hour (faster than most grown men can paddle) and regularly swim ten miles at a time without tiring.
Speed and Agility
All three of these animals are agile. The moose is the slowest of the three, which is understandable for his size, and it isn’t known to jump over things. It can reach speeds of 35 MPH if necessary but prefers not to.
Elk can run up to 40 MPH and they are impressive jumpers. An elk can leap eight feet vertically! The deer is the fastest of the three, running up to 45 MPH on a regular basis.
These smaller animals can leap over a ten-foot fence if it is in their way.
Antlers are where you see the most difference between these three animals. The males of all three species grow antlers that are covered in soft, velvety fur that is shed around mating time. Moose antler fur is often collected by some native tribes and used for medicinal purposes.
When antlers are shed in the autumn, they are often eaten by other animals because they contain beneficial minerals. Deer have thin, spindly antlers that grow many points. Their antlers grow upwards and branch off in many directions.
Elk also have antlers that start out growing from one main antler and then branch off. The main antler can grow as long as five feet tall, larger than the deer. The moose has the most impressive antlers.
These start out growing horizontally to form a table-like structure. From this base, many finger-like antlers emerge that grow upwards. When at their full size, these antlers measure 2-4 feet wide and 2-3 feet tall. One antler can weigh as much as forty pounds.
Wrapping It Up
So much alike, yet so different, these beautiful creatures are a wonder to see. Now you will be able to know exactly what you are looking at should you come across a deer, elk, or moose.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only