Coyotes are being spotted in many urban areas in North America and look very similar to German Shepherds. So how do we know whether the animal walking down the street or into our backyard is a Coyote or a German Shepherd? And do we need to be concerned if it is a Coyote?
Despite their close resemblance, there are differences distinguishing German Shepherds from Coyotes. Coyotes are smaller and sleeker, with longer, narrower snouts, wide-set pointed ears, and bushier tails carried low to the ground. German Shepherds are usually black and tan, colors that do not appear in Coyotes.
Both these animals belong in the same dog lineage or Canidae family, and both bear a resemblance to wolves. The German Shepherd is considered the closest dog breed to the Coyote in appearance. It’s fascinating to explore how the domesticated German Shepherd differs from his wild cousin despite the similarities.
Table of Contents
- Physical differences between Coyotes and German Shepherds
- Are Coyotes dangerous compared to German Shepherds?
- German Shepherd
- Tips to avoid contact with Coyotes
Physical differences between Coyotes and German Shepherds
German Shepherds are large, strong dogs. Their bodies are long (between 22 and 26 inches) in proportion to their height, emphasizing their muscular build. Their ears are erect and set high on their heads. The Coyote has a long, tapered snout, wide-set pointed ears, and yellow eyes. It has slender legs and small feet.
German Shepherds are larger than Coyotes. The average weight of a fully grown German Shepherd ranges from 50 to 90 pounds. By comparison, Coyotes have sleeker, leaner bodies. The Coyotes’ average weight is 15 to 50 pounds. Some people say they look like thin, hungry dogs.
German Shepherds are usually black and tan. Other less common colorings are all-white, all-black, black and red, black and silver, gray, blue, and liver. Coyotes are usually silver, grayish-brown with reddish tinges behind the ears and around the face. The Coyote’s belly is usually covered in white fur.
German Shepherds have long tails with a slight curvature. When they are excited, their tails curve more distinctively. They tend to lift their tails when they trot or walk. The Coyote has a straight bushy tail carried low to the ground, especially when on the move.
Length of legs and “elbow” joints
The “elbow” joints of the German Shepherd are above the chest line. The “elbow” joints of Coyotes are below the chest line making their legs appear longer than those of German Shepherds, although this is not in fact the case.
With a German Shepherd, the prints of all four paws can clearly be seen. Coyotes leave fewer prints. The hind paw prints of the Coyote are usually obscured by or are partly on top of, the forepaw prints.
“Next time you think you see a Coyote, try to get a good view of the ears, the snout, and the front legs. If you see wide-set, pointed ears; a narrow snout; and elbow joints below the chest line, you can confidently say that you have spotted a coyote. “
Are Coyotes dangerous compared to German Shepherds?
A properly trained, well-cared-for German Shepherd does not pose a danger to humans or other animals. However, German Shepherds used in police and military work are trained to attack suspected criminals or enemy targets. Because of their strength and speed, German Shepherds are, for example, very successful at chasing and holding suspects who are running away from law enforcement.
Coyotes, on the other hand, are wild members of the dog family. They have never been domesticated. As human settlements expand, Coyote and human territory increasingly merge, forcing them to cohabit with humans.
Unlike German Shepherds, Coyotes have to hunt for their food. Their diet in the wild includes small animals like rabbits, shrews, and mice. So if they are roaming in a suburb, they may hunt pets such as cats and small dogs because these animals are similar to their natural prey.
In the past, Coyotes tended to shy away from humans, but this is changing. “Coyotes are losing their fear of humans, which is further worsened by people intentionally or unintentionally feeding coyotes. In such situations, some coyotes have begun to act aggressively toward humans, chasing joggers and bicyclists, confronting people walking their dogs, and stalking small children.”
What to do if confronted by a Coyote or a German Shepherd
There are similarities and differences in what to do if confronted by either of these animals. Some of the actions that will ward off attacks by Coyotes are the very ones that will provoke German Shepherds.
- Never get near to or try to pat a Coyote, as this could trigger aggression.
- Don’t turn away and run. This could elicit the predator instinct in the animal and make him chase after you.
- Respond aggressively, making yourself look bigger by, e.g., waving your arms overhead.
- Clap your hands loudly and firmly
- Shout in a deep voice.
- Throw rocks, sticks, or other objects on hand to scare it away.
- If the Coyote refuses to leave, it could be because its pups are close or because there’s food nearby. If so, back away slowly.
- Don’t make eye contact with the dog because this will be interpreted as an aggressive act.
- Stay calm. The dog senses your emotions, and the more upset you become, the more stressed he will become.
- Don’t run away. Fast movement will prompt the dog to chase you.
- Stay quiet. Don’t shout or scream, as that will aggravate the dog.
- Slowly move behind a barrier such as a wall or a table to get something between you and the dog.
- Shield yourself by holding a flat object like a briefcase close to you if there’s no barrier nearby. If the surface is hard and flat, the dog will stop biting it. If you don’t have a flat object, use anything you have (e.g., a shopping bag) for the dog’s jaws to latch on to.
- If the dog slams you down onto the ground, curl up in a ball and use your arms to protect your neck and head. If you remain quiet without moving, the dog may lose interest.
Tips to avoid contact with Coyotes
“Coyotes …are opportunistic feeders. They will feed on whatever is most readily available and easy to obtain. Their primary foods are fruits, berries, rodents, and insects. They will scavenge on animal remains as well as garbage and pet foods left outdoors. In suburban areas, they have been known to prey on unprotected pets. Everything a coyote does is related to a potential meal.”
- Keep all food that could attract Coyotes away from them. This means:
- don’t leave small pets unattended outside your home;
- keep your pets’ food bowls inside your home;
- make sure Coyotes can’t overturn your garbage bins or rip open trash bags;
- pick up any fruit that’s fallen from your fruit trees;
- secure rabbit hutches and chicken coops properly with strong wire.
- Don’t feed Coyotes, as this makes them less afraid of humans.
- You can actively discourage Coyotes with loud noises, flashing lights, human voices from a TV or radio, and ammonia-soaked rags.
As our settlements expand into areas where the Coyotes could once roam freely, we will hopefully learn to coexist peacefully, and not be threatened by them. While they will never fulfill the role German Shepherds do as one of our most intelligent and loyal best friends, at least they should not become our enemies.
Native Animal Rescue: Living with California Coyotes
All Shepherd: German Shepherd vs. Coyote
Edmonton: What to Do if You Encounter a Coyote
ASPCA Pet Health Insurance: Facts About German Shepherds
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only