Porcupines are best known for the long, sharp quills they use for defense against predators. Up to 30,000 of these hollow-point weapons cover the North American porcupine. While they can’t shoot their quills, they do have some superpowers: porcupines can swim, sing, dance, and yes, even climb trees!
What is a porcupine?
Odds are you know the silhouette of this iconic creature. Perhaps you’ve also heard that it’s name means “thorny pig.” But did you know that it’s actually the second largest member of the rodent family?
(The number one title belongs to…the beaver!). Porcupines can grow to be two to three feet long and weigh more than 20 pounds! A thick cover of quills, made of keratin like our hair or fingernails, covers their backs.
They also have sharp claws on both their front and hind legs that are excellent for climbing. Their strong, prehensile tails can also be used to stabilize their bodies and even to grip branches as they climb!
What do porcupines eat?
Porcupines are herbivores, and consume a wide range of plant parts, from nuts, seeds, and fruits to leaves, grasses, roots, and stems. The low-slung, lumbering porcupine struggles to navigate the deep snow in winter, so tree climbing is a useful skill for finding food. Evergreen trees are a favorite snack, and porcupines will eat the bark, twigs, buds, and needles.
In fact, porcupines can feed so heavily on a single tree that they destroy it (which is not so great if the tree is in your yard!) “Hello, critter control? I have a porcupine infestation!”
Joking aside, a desire for salt in their diet can lead porcupines to munch on wooden tool handles and canoe paddles that have picked up salt from sweaty hands. Porcupines will even gnaw on outhouses because of the salt content in urine.
Where do porcupines live?
There are 29 porcupine species living across the globe, but only one that lives in North America (territorial much?). Despite this, porcupines are social creatures: a group of them is called (appropriately enough) a prickle.
From Mexico and the Northeastern and Western United States all the way up through Canada to Alaska, the North American porcupine inhabits forests, deserts, and even tundra.
Porcupine’s strong legs, broad backs, and large tails make them excellent swimmers, and their hollow quills provide natural floatation. These quills, which can take on a greenish color, also blend in among the evergreen needles. In fact, porcupines of the forest often build their nests in trees.
How do porcupines reproduce?
Very carefully J. But seriously, porcupine courtship is elaborate! The male porcupine woos the female with elaborate songs, performs a complicated mating dance, and even showers her with gifts…of urine. This epistle, usually sent from a lower branch of her tree, serves as an invitation (a love letter, if you will?).
If she’s not interested, she will scream, shake her tail at him, and run away. But if she’s charmed, the porcupine couple will mate for life. And yes, they can flatten their quills for cuddling.
Female porcupines gestate for nine months and give birth in spring to babies called…porcupettes!
What threatens porcupines survival?
Porcupines have few regular predators because of their excellent defense: a protective layer of 30,000 barbed quills. As some pet owners know, these wicked hooks can fall out and remain lodged in the face of an unwitting dog that tries to take a sniff. But most animals avoid the prickly porcupine, which warns off predators first with a strong odor, then with loud vocalizations, and finally by squeezing its back muscles to make the quills stand out.
Their most common attackers are…other porcupines. Males engage in vicious courtship battles that can leave them scarred. These battles take place in trees as a male stands guard over his intended mate.
Accordingly, fights can also result in a dangerous fall. Can porcupines be pricked by their own quills? The answer is yes!
This may be why, despite their nasty barbs, porcupine quills are also tipped with antibiotics. Some predators will occasionally brave the quills to take down a porcupine: owls, wolves, coyotes, mountain lions, and bobcats. The one creature that regularly preys on porcupines is the fisher, a large weasel relative that is also (like the porcupine) an agile tree climber.
Fishers attack porcupines in trees to get them to fall or flee, and then use their agility to circle and strike until they are successful. Because fishers are the only consistent natural predator of porcupines, humans have even introduced them to forests to control porcupine populations.
As usual, the greatest threat to porcupines is humans, who have hunted them for food and treated them as pests.
It’s no wonder porcupines feel a bit prickly toward us!
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- NO MORE HAIR EVERYWHERE: The ultimate pet hair roller for effective dog and cat hair removal. Far superior to traditional lint rollers for pet hair or sticky rollers, the ChomChom ensures deep cleaning.
- CONVENIENT: Take the ‘fur’ out of ‘furniture’ once and for all! Ideal for cleaning couches, pillows, rugs, and more. Whether it's furniture, your car, or a carpet, this pet lint roller is an essential tool for all pet owners.
- VERSATILE: Not just a dog lint roller, it's adept at cat hair removal too. The lint roller for pet hair extra sticky capability ensures every strand is picked up, leaving your spaces hair-free.
- EASY TO USE: Just roll back and forth along any surface to trap fur and lint into the built-in receptacle. When you’re all done, just press down on the release button to open the pet fur remover and empty it out completely. Purr-fectly simple!
- SUSTAINABLE - This reusable lint roller requires no adhesives or sticky tape, and can be used again and again.
- Super High Bounce: Better than standard tennis balls, the Ultra Ball is made of durable rubber yielding an ultra bouncy, exciting fetch experience on land or on water thanks to lightweight, bouyant design. Compatible with size Medium Chuckit Launchers
- Tough and Durable: This rugged dog fetch toy has a textured surface and a thick rubber core that can stand up to rough play yet is soft on dog's mouths. Not intended as a pure chew toy, always supervise your dog when playing with this toy
- Sizing matters: Size medium measures 2.5" in diameter and is best suited for dogs weighing 20-60lbs. Dog balls should be small enough for your dog to carry, but large enough that the ball can't completely fit in their mouth. When in doubt, buy a size up
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance toys are designed with you and your dog in mind; Try our full range of indoor and outdoor interactive dog toys including tumblers, flyers, fetch toys, other balls for dogs and more
- ChuckIt Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only