If you’re like me and pretty much everyone else, the word “rainforest” tends to conjure up images of lush, green vegetation. The idea that it’s infertile can seem really insane – but it’s true. People who try to grow crops there find out pretty quickly that it’s just not going to go well.
The question is how? How can something covered in green be infertile? The answer is that the soil is lacking the nutrients necessary for things to grow.
And I know what you’re thinking: If that’s true, why do things grow there? I promise that we’ll make this make sense, but it’s going to take a breakdown of some facts, so let’s dive in.
Let’s Go Back to School
In order to really get into the nitty-gritty of why rainforests are infertile, we must start with an understanding of what is supposed to take place. To do that, we need to go back to school for a second. Or, if you prefer, you can always think back to the first Lion King movie.
It gave a pretty nice depiction of the circle of life – but I digress. Now, in a perfect world – or perfect climate – a specific series of events occurs when an animal dies. They decompose at a rate that allows their nutrients to sink into the soil and build up, making them available as plants need them.
The nutrients feed the vegetation, which the animals then eat on. Animals later die and decompose, perpetuating the cycle. Or as Mufasa stated, when lions die, they return to the ground.
Antelope feed on the grass, and then lions eat the antelope. Everything is connected. In addition to animal decomposition, when trees go to sleep, leaves fall to the ground.
Those leaves break down and feed the soil. In short, the circle of life keeps the soil fed and the plants and crops growing.
Rainforests Don’t Have a Perfect Climate
Unfortunately, tropical rainforests do not provide an environment conducive to this cycle for several reasons. We’re going to start with one of the biggest factors: rainforests are hot and humid. The average temperature is usually no less than 70 degrees and hits 85 or more on a regular basis.
Why exactly does the temperature have to do with the soil? It’s more about how it affects that cycle we were talking about a minute ago. Remember how I said that in a perfect climate, dead animals decompose at a rate that allows the nutrients to sink into the soil?
Well, in hot, humid temperatures, dead animals decompose too quickly for the nutrients to soak into the soil as they need to and build up. It doesn’t stop there, though. Most of those luscious green trees in tropical rainforests are evergreen trees.
This means that they stay green all year.
They don’t go to sleep and lose their leaves during the fall. Yes, they lose some of them, but not at a fast rate like other trees. In other words, they don’t fill the soil with nutrients like plants that normally lose all of their foliage in colder months.
To recap, neither dead animals nor dead foliage is feeding the soil at a helpful rate, but we’re still not done. Of course, there are some nutrients that enter the soil, but there’s a problem. There are many starving plants sitting on the surface – you know, the ones we envision when we picture a rainforest.
They soak any nutrients up immediately, leaving little to nothing behind for any new plants or crops. Additionally, much of the soil in rainforests contains a pretty good amount of clay. This acts as an obstruction.
That rain washes away everything left behind in the soil. So, why is the soil in rainforests so infertile? It’s not getting fed by decomposed animals or foliage, the plants already there soak up anything good they find that enters the soil, clay keeps the rest from building up, and rain comes along to wash it away.
Even worse, when people do try to plant farms there and disturb the little bit of stability in the soil, they typically don’t last more than a year. The land begins to look much more like a desert area, and there doesn’t seem to be a way to get it back to normal.
If you imagine moving near the rainforest to start a farm, you should probably reconsider that dream. While it’s a beautiful place, it’s not exactly ideal if your retirement plans involve living off the land.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only