More than 70 percent of the earth’s surface is covered in water, so it’s unsurprising that we have so many different types of bodies of water. Rivers, oceans, lakes, ponds – there are many types to know. And sometimes, understanding the differences can be difficult – especially when most people can’t exactly agree on a definition.
For example, not everyone can agree on whether a lake has to be landlocked or not, but it’s a common question. The answer is simple: yes, a lake is landlocked. We’ll dive into a more thorough explanation below.
Let’s Discuss What “Landlocked” Means
The word landlocked is kind of self-explanatory. It means that something is locked in by land. When you’re talking about a country or a city, like Orlando, it means that it is completely or nearly completely enclosed by land or is away from the ocean. When referring to a body of water, it means there is no navigable or direct route to the sea.
Understanding the Definition of “Lake”
Now that you know exactly what landlocked means, let’s talk about lakes. There is often some discrepancy in the precise definition of a lake, but there is one similarity. Just about any definition you find will state that a lake is a “body of water that is surrounded by land.”
If landlocked means being surrounded by land and a lake is defined as being surrounded by land, then yes, a lake is landlocked. So why exactly can people not agree on whether lakes have to be landlocked? Well, there are a couple of different types of lakes that can make the definition confusing.
Let’s get into it in the next section.
Types of Lakes
There are actually several different types of lakes, including seepage lakes, drained lakes, spring lakes, and so on. However, for our purposes, we’re only going to focus on two categories of lakes: opened and closed.
A closed lake is exactly what it sounds like – it’s completely enclosed by land. There is no water flowing in or out. If water leaves a closed lake, it’s through evaporation or a man-made process.
Closed lakes are typically salty, as the process of evaporation leaves the saline from the water behind. Additionally, water levels in a closed lake can fluctuate as there is no constant water flow coming in and out. The levels will rise when there is a large amount of precipitation and drop when it’s hot and dry.
The largest example of a closed lake is the Caspian Sea – yes, it goes by a different name, but it’s still a lake. It is labeled as a sea, though, due to its size. In any event, you can see in the photo below that it is enclosed by land, with no water flowing into or out of it nor does it have direct access to the ocean.
A smaller example is the Great Salt Lake in Utah, as you can see from the map below.
Opened lakes are a bit different. They are surrounded by land, of course, but there’s an area that either flows into or out of the lake. More often than not, the water in these lakes eventually reaches the sea, though there is no direct access to the sea.
Opened lakes are typically freshwater, as water is flowing in and out. And their levels stay pretty much the same all of the time. A really good example of an opened lake is actually a set of well-known opened lakes: the Great Lakes.
If you take a look at the map below, you’ll see that each of the lakes flows into one another. However, they don’t stop there. The entire set of lakes eventually moves into the St. Lawrence River and then the Gulf of St. Lawrence before moving into the Atlantic Ocean.
They are all still landlocked as they are surrounded completely by land, except for where they flow into each other. And though they eventually flow into the ocean, none of them have direct access to the ocean.
Why Is There So Much Confusion About Lakes Being Landlocked?
The reason people often get confused about this topic is that there is a misunderstanding of the definition of landlocked. Quite often, people only consider something to be landlocked if it is completely enclosed by land. They do not understand or haven’t heard the additional parts of the definition, such as the “nearly completely” or “no direct route to the ocean” parts.
So, when they see a lake that has a stream or other water source flowing in and out, they assume that means lakes don’t have to be landlocked.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only