Moose are one of the largest mammals in North America. Adult males can weigh up to 1,650 pounds and stand six to seven feet tall at the shoulders. Like other male members of the deer family, bull moose have antlers that they grow and shed each year.
These antlers can grow to be up to five feet wide and can weigh as much as 30 pounds! Female moose don’t grow them. So why do bull moose grow giant antlers in fall only to shed them in winter? As usual, it’s all about romance!
What are Antlers?
Moose have antlers rather than horns. Like other deer antlers, they grow from bone as an extension of a moose’s skull. But these “skull extensions” are not a permanent attachment). In contrast, cattle, sheep, and goats grow horns they keep forever that are composed of keratin—the same stuff that makes fingernails and hair!
If that sounds weirdly opposite, it gets worse. antler bones grow because of a rough velvet that covers them on the outside, supplying them with blood throughout the growing season. This velvet can produce three-quarters of an inch of new growth per day!
How do Moose Antlers Grow?
Antlers begin to grow when the seasonal shifts in sunlight cue changes in the levels of a male moose’s testosterone, according to Dr. Bronson Strickland of the Mississippi State University. Longer summer days cause the buck’s hormones to activate antler growth. Waning autumn sun ramps up testosterone in the bull’s blood, signaling a stop in antler growth.
The antler velvet that has supplied them with blood throughout the year dries up, and males rub it off on trees and saplings to mark their territory with an oily scent. This marking signals a challenge to other male moose and an invitation to females.
What are Moose Antlers For?
During September and October, it’s mating season! Male moose search for mates by marking territory, by bellowing, and by fighting with one another. In addition to rubbing off their antler velvet to leave a signature scent on trees, bulls make a loud roaring sound to attract females and to warn off other males.
Defense Against Predators
Of course, this sound can also attract predators. One function antlers serve is for defense against other animals that prey on moose. Predators know the heavy shovel-shaped bones with wicked tips make very effective maces!
Male moose prove to females (and to other males) that they are strong and healthy through mating displays. Bulls roar, shake, and show off (much like males across species) in an effort to win the day through intimidation. After all, an actual fight can be dangerous for both parties.
When male moose lock antlers for a head-banging, neck-twisting duel, the result can be devastating: Alaskan scientists have found bull moose frozen to death with antlers locked.
With sexy scents, big antlers, and brash displays, bull moose show females that they are ready to mate. If a female likes his scent and his performance, she may choose him for breeding. Female moose may not have antlers, but they can breed beginning at age two. They can produce one to two calves in summer after carrying them for seven-and-a-half months.
Why do Moose Shed Their Antlers?
Like other animals, moose shed in winter. The heavy antlers are useful for showing off but not so helpful for conserving energy during the coldest months of the year, explains Lee Kantar, moose biologist with the Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife in Maine. In the chilly north of the US, Canada, Europe, and Asia, animals dropping weight fast can mean the difference between life and death.
After all, moose need to eat 40-60 pounds of daily browse—plant life they can strip and eat with their large, flat teeth.
What Happens to the Shed Antlers?
Unlike the fur shed by your household pet, a five-foot moose rack doesn’t disappear into the carpet. Instead, the antler bones become a source of calcium for a variety of smaller animals that depend on them for nutrients. So if you find a shed antler, leave it alone: squirrels, mice, porcupines, and even foxes and bears eat moose antlers, which contain not only calcium but also phosphorus and mineral salts.
It’s not quite the story of Thidwick, the big-hearted moose, but it is an amazing example of natural recycling!
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only