Polar bears live in the arctic, hang out on slabs of ice, and snack on sea lions. Ultimately, slabs of ice are a big part of what polar bears call home, they live their lives floating around on them. But because the ice continually shifts and moves, so do the bears and they can be found in countries within the arctic region from Alaska, Canada, and Russia to Norway.
Polar bears are well adapted to life in extremely cold weather, but do they always stay cozy underneath all that fur and blubber? I want to figure out whether polar bears ever get cold, but to do that I first need to understand how they stay so warm in the first place.
How Does a Polar Bear Survive in Freezing Temperatures?
Polar bears have a few things to keep them snug in those freezing conditions including:
- A thick fur-coat
- Layers of blubber
- A wicked fast metabolism
- A small body surface area to volume ratio helps to minimize heat loss
The fur coat acts as a barrier to keep out the cold and the layer of blubber functions as insulation. Blubber helps the polar bear maintain its body temperature, allowing it to remain at a comfortable 98.6 F. And a polar bear’s super-fast metabolism generates heat, helping it stay warm in a below-freezing climate.
Other adaptations that help a polar bear survive to include:
- A white appearance helps it camouflage in the snow when hunting its prey
- Large feet help it balance and grip the ice
The polar bear has adapted to its environment in several ways, but a primary trait (and probably its most significant) is its ability to retain warmth, to survive the subfreezing temperatures of its environment. While other survival traits are important, if a polar bear cannot stay warm, it will face a bigger problem than forgetting to bring a sweater. If a polar bear’s body loses the ability to retain heat, the polar bear will not survive.
What Might Limit a Polar Bear’s Ability to Retain Heat?
To figure out whether polar bears can get cold, we can ask:
What would prevent a polar bear from functioning the way it needs to function, to stay warm? A few things, such as:
1. Losing its fur
2. Losing blubber
3. The wrong environment
What is so special about fur? A polar bear’s fur has a special type of layer. The additional layer, called guard hair, functions to protect the polar bear’s underlying fur and skin. Essentially, guard hair works like a double-edged sword in protecting polar bears from freezing temperatures. Guard hair absorbs heat from the outside environment and prevents body heat from escaping.
Polar Bear Hair Loss
Studies have shown that some polar bears lose their hair in large amounts, a condition known as alopecia. Researchers aren’t entirely sure what causes polar bears to lose their hair. However, bears that experience hair loss tends to have less body fat and are less able to retain heat.
One theory about the condition suggests it may be related to a bear’s poor health, but it isn’t clear which came first – the hair loss or the poor health. One thing that is certain, bears with bald patches lose more body heat compared to bears without hair loss. So, polar bears that lose their hair could, in theory, get too cold.
Polar Bear Starvation
If a polar bear can’t get enough to eat, it will lose weight. When polar bears lose weight, they also lose blubber. Blubber is different from fat in that it is much thicker and much better at keeping an arctic animal protected from freezing temperatures. Polar bear blubber may be up to 10 cm thick underneath a thick layer of fur, keeping polar bears extra toasty.
There are many accounts of starving polar bears in the arctic. The reason for this is unclear. And it’s just one part of a long controversial debate.
Various theories exist to answer why polar bears are starving. Climate change theory suggests that polar bears are unable to hunt seals that live in the arctic sea because the sea ice is melting around the arctic region. Polar bears tend to stay on slabs of ice floating on the arctic ocean because it gives them easy access to the seals they eat.
According to climate change theory, the slabs of ice are slowly melting and preventing the bears’ natural hunting process. Without access to the seals in the sea, polar bears become malnourished and lose weight – and they lose blubber, the insulation keeping them warm.
How Cold is Too Cold for Polar Bears?
My search to understand polar bears and whether they can get cold led me to notice a recurring question – could polar bears find a new home in the Antarctic? One reddit user says, “Chances are polar bears would have a much better life in the Antarctic, at least for a while. The environments are similar enough that they would probably adapt easily.”
But I’m not so sure.
The Arctic vs. the Antarctic
Antarctica has six months of complete darkness during its winter, followed by six months of pure daylight that mark its summer. During the six-month-long summer season, Antarctica stays around a crisp 14 F.
However, the coldest temperature ever recorded in the Antarctic was a painfully cold -129.28 F, in 1983. To get a sense of how cold that is, stick your arm in the freezer. Then leave it there for a minute.
It gets a bit uncomfortable after a while, right? The average freezer temperature hangs around a measly 5 degrees Fahrenheit. Polar bears are built for the cold, but they have adapted to life in the Arctic region of the North Pole where temperatures are not nearly as freezing as they are in the Antarctic South Pole.
While polar bears have adapted well to withstand temperatures as low as -50 F, the blistering Antarctic region in the south would be far too cold for them to live. Therefore, if at some point a polar bear stumbles into Antarctica, it might get cold.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only