What animals are edible in the Amazon rainforest depends on how hungry you are and your situation. If you survived a plane crash and had little chance of being rescued, you might be willing to eat things that you would not if you were adventure hiking for a weekend. There is also a difference between edible and eatable.
Edible means it can be eaten without harm to the person. There may be things that are too disgusting or too difficult to eat. Here are some animals you could eat in the Amazon rainforest, and you have to use your imagination as to whether that means eatable.
Paiche is the second largest freshwater fish in the world. It is a very tasty fish and restaurants as far away as Canada offer it on their menu. These fish can get to seven-feet long.
They are slowly becoming endangered due to overfishing, but there are ethical ways to eat Paiche. It has a firm substance and can be cooked by any means you can think of. Tambaqui is a fish that eats fruit and seeds and is widely regarded as one of the best-tasting fish in the entire world.
They can get very big, up to three feet long, and are relatively common along rivers. Piranha has a reputation for being a nasty, dangerous fish. Their reputation is overblown, and they are edible.
There are several species of piranha, and some are more popular than others.
If you happen to be stranded or lost, you might be willing to eat any fish you can catch. Nearly all fish can be eaten, but not many taste as good as Paiche. You can catch fish at night along a river even if you don’t have any fishing gear.
The website Survive offers this tip for catching fish at night. It describes how to make a torch first. “They are attracted by the light sources, taking the torch near the water surface the fish will approach, take advantage of the time to hit them with a wood weapon, when they have been stunned, grab them quickly.”
- Armored Catfish
- Electric Eel
- Pancake Stingrays
- Bull Shark
- Peacock Bass
These are not just any snails, they are giant snails, and are called “Churros” locally. They are a good source of protein. They are not appealing visually, and taste rather bland, but if you were lost in the jungle they would be a welcome sight.
Churros are used in stews and along with other foods. Because of the bland taste, they are not often eaten by themselves. They are a popular food for people who live in the area and are sold in markets.
They can grow to six or seven inches long. Locally, they have a reputation for being an aphrodisiac and a cure for a hangover, in addition to a natural food source.
The Picuro is a popular rodent similar to a guinea pig, which is also a popular rodent to eat. The Picuro is more popular in Ecuador, Columbia, and Bolivia, while the Guinea Pig is a staple in the mountains of Peru. The Picuro has been over-hunted and is near endangered status, but the farmed Picuro is easily available in the region.
Grilled Picuro is popular in restaurants and is especially good when grilled. The Capybara is one of the largest rodents in the world and can grow to 140 pounds. They are popular to eat in Venezuela, but not so much in other areas. In Venezuela, they have become endangered and hunting is now limited, but there are areas where they are plentiful.
Rats, mice, and red-sided opossums are all edible rodents that live in the Amazon rainforest. None of these are endangered. We may not think of rodents as something good to eat, but in other parts of the world, they have a different attitude.
“We’re conditioned poorly in the United States to think of rodents as rats in sewers and such things,” said Rexford D. Lord, a capybara expert at the Indiana University of Pennsylvania. “Actually, capybara meat is delicious. It’s more like a rabbit than chicken, though when dried with sea salt in Venezuela it acquires a fishy flavor.”
Insects may test your bravery, but for the most part, they are a good source of protein and basically healthy. Here are some insects you could eat in the Amazon rainforest.
Suri is a fat grub, the larvae of the South American weevil. They sound bad and look worse, but people in the region have been eating them for many generations. They come from rotting trees.
They are grilled and crispy. Locals eat them raw, and even alive. You do need to remove the head and intestines first.
Any kind of ant is edible, but the large leafcutter ant of the Amazon Rainforest is a delicacy to some. They are roasted in a pan. As you would expect, they are crunchy and taste like pork cracklings. They are an acquired taste perhaps, but they would be a welcome sight if you were starving.
- Wood Lice
Large turtles are plentiful in the Amazon Rainforest and are a popular dish in Peru. Turtle soup is a popular meal in Peru, and it is prepared in the shell of the turtle. The yellow-spotted turtle is also popular in Brazil.
There is some controversy, however. The Brazilian government has banned the capture and sale of turtles or their eggs because they are endangered. Indigenous people depend on them for sustenance, and they are a delicacy for the rich.
Still, they are edible and are said to taste good.
The caiman looks like a small alligator and is related. The black caiman is as big as an alligator, at 15 feet, and just as dangerous. All other species are about half that size, and both are found in the Amazon rainforest along rivers.
There are no alligators in the Amazon rainforest, but there are crocodiles. While the caiman is edible, it is not advisable unless your survival depends on it. They are known to have bacteria that can be harmful to humans. The meat is also very fatty and not healthy.
Lizards are also reptiles that can be eaten, and in general, they are not as dangerous to eat as a caiman.
There are a lot of different kinds of animals in the Amazon Rainforest. Many of them are edible. Here are some more that you could eat, and some are good.
- WIld boar
- Brown Brocket (A species of deer)
- Red squirrel
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only