Yes, several species mate for life, but you’re far more likely to find these rare couples sporting feathers rather than fur in the animal kingdom. According to BBC Earth, while up to 90% of bird species partner up for a lifetime, only 3 to 5% of mammals form monogamous relationships. So, who are these die-hard duos, and when we say mate for life, what does that really mean?
The answers may surprise you.
10 Animal Species That Mate For Life
- Gray Wolves
- Eurasian Beavers
- California Mice
- Shingleback Skinks
- Parasitic Flatworms
- Black Vultures
- Barn Owls
- Bald Eagles
- Pacific Striped Octopuses
Grey Wolves – The Amorous Alphas
The gray wolf partnership is just as much about status as it is about ensuring the longevity and stability of the pack. It’s easier for an alpha male to protect one mate from other pack members. With pack numbers seen as high as 30 in the wild, and the potential to mate lasting the entire lifetime of the luna or alpha female, keeping other potential suitors in check is essential.
Only the male and female alpha, also known as “the breeding pair,” are permitted to reproduce.
Eurasian Beavers – A Hardworking Relationship
If you’re a she-beaver looking for love, you can’t depend on snaring your partner with one tasty “engagement chicken” and then kicking back and ordering take-out for the rest of your relationship. Male and female Eurasian beavers pair up in order to get enough tree bark to keep each other fed. This hardworking couple also shares housekeeping and parenting duties.
California Mice – They Don’t Dare Cheat
Is that lipstick on your collar?! OK, so mouse arguments probably don’t sound exactly like that but mated California mice are known to angrily bark at each other when separated and placed with other mice for a time. The good news for the calmer California mouse in a mated relationship?
Couples who avoided these little tiffs or quickly decided to forgive and forget were more likely to produce healthy offspring.
Shingleback Skinks – A Rare Reptilian Pair
We’re not sure if it’s the sausage-shaped bodies, those stubby little legs, or that unique blue tongue – but once a female shingleback skink finds a suitable partner, they’re in it for the long haul. One study of 12,000 lizards found shingleback monogamy that lasted anywhere from 10 to almost 30 years.
Familiarity Makes For More Little Lizards
Scientists believe the key to this rare reptilian life-pairing is the ease of reproduction once the duo is an established couple. Males don’t have to spend so much time wooing. When mating season comes around, it’s time to get down to business. Believe it or not, mated shinglebacks won’t stray more than 12 inches from one another during this time.
Parasitic Flatworms – These Two Become One, Literally
Speaking of couples who stay together, members of the Diplozoon paradoxum species of parasitic flatworm must conjoin with one another in order to reach adulthood and reproduce. You even might consider this monogamous pairing a matter of life and death. Once the pair have fused into one H-shaped body, they live longer, too.
Black Vultures – It Takes A Village
Maybe we should say it takes a kettle. If a paired-off member of a black vulture flock decides they want a little side action, the entire community will brutally force the guilty party back to their nest. Monogamy as a vulture isn’t all violence.
Couples are known to share egg sitting duties and decorate the area around the nest with bottle caps, glass, and pieces of plastic.
Barn Owls – A Little Bribery Never Hurts
You’ve practiced your screeching voice and dropped off yet another delectable dead mouse. What could your feathery barn owl self be up to? Why, wooing your mate for life, of course. Any day now, the croak of approval is sure to come from your future significant other.
Paired barn owls will return to the same nest site each year and work to renew their bond with gifts and courtship flights every spring. Now that’s commitment.
Bald Eagles – Making Long-Distanced Relationships Work
How do bald eagles make monogamy work for them when the relationship starts at age five and last at least two decades? They spend a lot of time apart. During winter and migration times, the birds fly solo, coming together each spring to mate.
Pacific Striped Octopuses – Touch Is Their Love Language
Mating among octopuses is usually a tricky business. When your much larger female partner can potentially strangle and eat you in the process, long-distance sounds like a good idea, right? We guess you could call that mating for life, but the life part sure isn’t very long.
Pacific striped octopuses, on the other hand, mate face to face, kiss, and fondle one another’s suckers? This gives them a leg up (er, arm up?) when it comes to reproduction. The mated octopuses are able to produce multiple clutches of eggs.
Seahorses – Steadfast In The Little Things
You’ve probably heard that the male seahorse carries the eggs, but when it comes to nurturing the relationship, both parties put in the effort in this pairing. Mated seahorse couples greet each other every morning. This greeting is not just a quick hello and peck on the cheek. The pair will dance, promenade, and even change color.
This morning ritual is believed to help the couple make sure everyone is alive, strengthen their bond with one another, and sync reproductive cycles.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- Super High Bounce: Better than standard tennis balls, the Ultra Ball is made of durable rubber yielding an ultra bouncy, exciting fetch experience on land or on water thanks to lightweight, bouyant design. Compatible with size Medium Chuckit Launchers
- Tough and Durable: This rugged dog fetch toy has a textured surface and a thick rubber core that can stand up to rough play yet is soft on dog's mouths. Not intended as a pure chew toy, always supervise your dog when playing with this toy
- Sizing matters: Size medium measures 2.5" in diameter and is best suited for dogs weighing 20-60lbs. Dog balls should be small enough for your dog to carry, but large enough that the ball can't completely fit in their mouth. When in doubt, buy a size up
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance toys are designed with you and your dog in mind; Try our full range of indoor and outdoor interactive dog toys including tumblers, flyers, fetch toys, other balls for dogs and more
- ChuckIt Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- NO MORE HAIR EVERYWHERE: The ultimate pet hair roller for effective dog and cat hair removal. Far superior to traditional lint rollers for pet hair or sticky rollers, the ChomChom ensures deep cleaning.
- CONVENIENT: Take the ‘fur’ out of ‘furniture’ once and for all! Ideal for cleaning couches, pillows, rugs, and more. Whether it's furniture, your car, or a carpet, this pet lint roller is an essential tool for all pet owners.
- VERSATILE: Not just a dog lint roller, it's adept at cat hair removal too. The lint roller for pet hair extra sticky capability ensures every strand is picked up, leaving your spaces hair-free.
- EASY TO USE: Just roll back and forth along any surface to trap fur and lint into the built-in receptacle. When you’re all done, just press down on the release button to open the pet fur remover and empty it out completely. Purr-fectly simple!
- SUSTAINABLE - This reusable lint roller requires no adhesives or sticky tape, and can be used again and again.
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only