Honey badgers, in addition to being incredibly fierce, aggressive, and grumpy, are surprisingly smart. They have a large brain for their body size. They are also one of the very few non-primate species that use tools, widely considered to be a sign of high intelligence by us tool-using humans.
Watching a honey badger figure out that moving something to stand on it will allow them to get to high food is quite amazing – you can actually see the badger thinking, understanding, and planning. They appear to be able to get out of almost anywhere. A famous, captive-raised honey badger named Stoffle, whose owner has published several videos about Stoffle’s ability to escape from virtually any enclosure.
Fascinating to watch, these videos show Stoffle planning, trying, and retrying, all in pursuit of gaining enough height to climb over the wall of the enclosure his owner calls the honey-badger Alcatraz. They have a large brain for their size, which is evidence, but not proof, of intelligence. More importantly, they have been seen using tools to make bridges, open cages, and increase their height to get over a fence or wall.
Honey badgers haven’t been tested much for intelligence; they are far too aggressive and self-directed to be interested in proving anything to humans. They really don’t like anyone very much and have been known to attack a ranger’s vehicle of a ranger trying to show one-off to some tourists. The internet has been fascinated by the career of Stoffle, a honey badger raised at the Moholoholo Rehabilitation Center in South Africa.
The clips show Stoffle, sometimes with his female friend, engaging in successful escape attempt after successful escape attempt. Stoffle uses tires, rakes, logs, rocks, mud, and his female friend, as tools to get out of his “escape-proof” enclosure. Thus far, nothing has kept him in, and he’s even broken into the home of the man who built the enclosure.
Watching Stoffle plan and calculate and adjust his escape tools, one cannot avoid the conclusion that he is thinking, that he is manipulating these found objects as tools, every bit as knowingly as a chimpanzee uses a twig to get termites out of a nest. Animal behavior experts have been surprised by Stoffle’s efforts and are reconsidering what was clearly an under-estimation of honey badger intelligence. What Stoffle’s escape appears to illustrate is that his species is capable of problem-solving by mental trial and error.
The animal runs through scenarios in its head, trying to determine which will work. Experts wonder whether this complex problem-solving behavior, previously found only in humans, dolphins, chimps, and corvids (crows), signifies honey badger intelligence. Unfortunately, no one has done any formal studies of honey badger intelligence, meaning that, essentially, Stoffle is, for now, virtually the whole story about honey badger brains.
As one expert opined, “Almost everything we know about honey badger behavior is muddied by a total lack of data.” For example, honey badgers have a reputation for ripping off their opponents’ testicles. No one, however, has ever confirmed this by observing it.
Their impervious skins, immunity to venom, and reputation for playing dead are all based on hearsay, not observation. However, one of the challenges of engaging in such studies is that there are very few honey badgers in zoos or rehab centers throughout the world. Observing them in the wild is not a much better option either since this is an aggressive, hostile, secretive, solitary nocturnal animals.
Not Your Pavlovian Response
Operant conditioning is a form of learning in which an animal performs a particular behavior in response to a stimulus. The behavior is not automatic like the Pavlovian response but is rather modified by its consequences. Those using operant conditioning learn by trial and error.
Classically, a hungry chimp once poked a twig down a termite nest and realized how useful that can be. Similarly, macaques in Japan learned that sitting in hot springs can make winter much more tolerable. Another fascinating (and frustrating to bird lovers) example of operant learning is the never-ending challenge of keeping squirrels out of bird feeders.
They appear impossible to defeat as they overcome every single obstacle placed between them and the food. However, they do not appear to use tools to accomplish their goal. These behaviors give the user a competitive advantage, and others will copy the behavior, which becomes part of what is virtually a culture.
Not Your Average Thinker
Honey badgers, whatever tools they’re using, aren’t likely to create a culture if, for no other reason than that, culture requires an ability to tolerate others of one’s kind. Nonetheless, some observations of tool use in the wild have been made, and Stoffle, of course, has riveted animal intelligence experts. Indeed, one researcher has referred to the “stupendous intelligence of honey badgers” in arguing that intelligence studies should not focus on primates and human concepts of mind.
A long-term tech company founder and startup investor Josh Linkner even takes the honey badger as a guide to success in life and business. Like the honey budget, Linkner says, we should be:
- Fearless – learn to compartmentalize fear, thus finding the courage to seek victory
- Thick-skinned – don’t let the venom and bites of the world get you down. Use them to build defenses and mental toughness
- Resourceful – Learn to use new tools and use old ones differently. Doing so boosts productivity and delivers results through leveraging your technology
- Unwavering – Nothing, but nothing gets in a honey badger’s way.
- Ferocious – Bigger animals further up the food chain – even apex predators like lions – respect and avoid honey badgers. It has a reputation for doing whatever is necessary to win, which helps it find victory in every situation.
Linkner’s business model is just that, a model. But it is also a good presentation of how honey badgers face the world. They don’t like anyone much, including their own kind, though there is some anecdotal evidence that they will occasionally like a particular human or another honey badger.
They ask the world to take them as they are or be prepared to fight about it and fight to the death. Following a solitary, nocturnal lifestyle, honey badgers have been around since the middle Pliocene, with extinct relatives dating back at least seven million years. Unless too many people think them on the head with bludgeons or shoot them, these delightfully intelligent animals may get another few million more.
Honey badgers are known for being aggressive, grumpy, vicious, and persistent, but not so much for being intelligent. Perhaps, as one author said of honey badger intelligence, maybe everyone was too busy trying to get out of their way to look for it. And if you do see a honey badger, just enjoy it: but don’t get attached.
As has been said, the beast won’t give a damn whether you like him or not. Just stay out of its way.
- NO MORE HAIR EVERYWHERE: The ultimate pet hair roller for effective dog and cat hair removal. Far superior to traditional lint rollers for pet hair or sticky rollers, the ChomChom ensures deep cleaning.
- CONVENIENT: Take the ‘fur’ out of ‘furniture’ once and for all! Ideal for cleaning couches, pillows, rugs, and more. Whether it's furniture, your car, or a carpet, this pet lint roller is an essential tool for all pet owners.
- VERSATILE: Not just a dog lint roller, it's adept at cat hair removal too. The lint roller for pet hair extra sticky capability ensures every strand is picked up, leaving your spaces hair-free.
- EASY TO USE: Just roll back and forth along any surface to trap fur and lint into the built-in receptacle. When you’re all done, just press down on the release button to open the pet fur remover and empty it out completely. Purr-fectly simple!
- SUSTAINABLE - This reusable lint roller requires no adhesives or sticky tape, and can be used again and again.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- See, hear and speak to people from your phone, tablet or select Echo device with Stick Up Cam Battery, a battery-powered camera that can be mounted indoor or out.
- With Live View, you can check in on your home any time through the Ring app.
- With a Ring Protect Plan (subscription sold separately), record all your videos, review what you missed for up to 180 days, and share videos and photos.
- Place on a flat surface or mount to a wall with the versatile mounting bracket. Add-on the Mount for Stick Up Cam (sold separately) for ceiling mount.
- Watch over your entire home by connecting one or multiple Stick Up Cams to the Ring app.
- Easily setup Stick Up Cam Battery by inserting the battery pack and connecting to Wi-Fi.
- For added peace of mind, pair with Alexa to help you keep an eye on your home.
- Outdoor 4 is our fourth generation wire-free smart security camera that helps you protect your home inside and out right from your smartphone.
- See and speak from the Blink app — Experience 1080p HD live view, infrared night vision, and crisp two-way audio.
- Two-year battery life — Set up yourself in minutes and get up to two years of power with the included AA lithium batteries.
- Enhanced motion detection — Be alerted to motion faster from your smartphone with dual-zone, enhanced motion detection.
- Person detection — Get alerts when a person is detected with embedded computer vision (CV) as part of an optional Blink Subscription Plan (sold separately).
- Save and share clips — Choose to store events in the cloud with a free 30-day trial of the Blink Subscription Plan or locally with the Sync Module 2 (included) plus a USB drive (sold separately).
- Works with Alexa — Connect to an Alexa-enabled device to engage live view, arm and disarm your system, and more using your voice.
- Includes three Outdoor 4 cameras, one Sync Module 2, six AA lithium metal batteries, three mounting kits, one USB cable, and one power adapter.
- Super High Bounce: Better than standard tennis balls, the Ultra Ball is made of durable rubber yielding an ultra bouncy, exciting fetch experience on land or on water thanks to lightweight, bouyant design. Compatible with size Medium Chuckit Launchers
- Tough and Durable: This rugged dog fetch toy has a textured surface and a thick rubber core that can stand up to rough play yet is soft on dog's mouths. Not intended as a pure chew toy, always supervise your dog when playing with this toy
- Sizing matters: Size medium measures 2.5" in diameter and is best suited for dogs weighing 20-60lbs. Dog balls should be small enough for your dog to carry, but large enough that the ball can't completely fit in their mouth. When in doubt, buy a size up
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance toys are designed with you and your dog in mind; Try our full range of indoor and outdoor interactive dog toys including tumblers, flyers, fetch toys, other balls for dogs and more
- ChuckIt Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data