Canada’s forests are beautiful and cover a large amount of landmass throughout this country. Some of the most diversified forests can be found in Ontario. This Canadian province features four distinct forest types that provide natural habitat to various plants, mammals, and birds.
Many tree species are found throughout Canada, offering both coniferous and deciduous tree species throughout Ontario.
Table of Contents
- Types of Forest in Ontario
Types of Forest in Ontario
Ontario is a province in Canada that is known for its rich and dense forests. This area has several varied landscapes that are home to countless species of plants, birds, and mammals.
Throughout Ontario, there are four distinct forest types: the Lowlands near Hudson Bay, the boreal forest in northern Ontario, the Great Lakes region with the Lawrence forest, and the deciduous forests in southern Ontario that are known as the Carolinian forest.
Below, let’s take a closer look at these four different forest types to understand better what makes them unique and special.
The Hudson Bay Lowlands are located in the far northern reaches of Ontario. This area is the largest parcel of the wetland area globally, making it home to a diverse and intricate ecosystem. This area has several thousand small ponds and lakes and is populated with countless trees.
The entire Lowland wetland area makes up 26 million hectares. Typical trees found in this region include the white birch and the dwarf birch. The arctic fox, arctic hare, polar bear, and woodland caribou call this part of the world home.
In northern Ontario, there is a rich boreal forest. This type of forest is the most populous forest in the world and is commonly found throughout Canada, Alaska, and Russia. Canada’s boreal forest is known for its mostly coniferous trees, which are strong and durable, even in the harsh winters.
These types of trees have needles instead of leaves and can survive cold temperatures or long periods of drought. The needles stay green for the entire year and get cones rather than flowers. Many coniferous tree species are found in the famous boreal forest, including cedars, fir, black spruce trees, and pine trees.
Several animals also call the boreal forest home, and countless birds are only found in this part of the world, including the great owl and winter wren. Many mammal species live in the boreal forest region, such as the black bear, lynx, hare, and fox.
Around the Great Lakes area in southern and central Ontario, visitors will find the Lawrence forest. Different from the northern reaches of Ontario, this particular forest has mostly hardwood, deciduous trees. The more southern location offers a milder climate where trees like oak, maple, yellow birch, and white pine can thrive.
Several coniferous trees are dotting the area as well, including hemlocks, pines, and cedars. The exciting thing about this forest is there is a range of trees of varying ages. While some trees border on old-growth or ancient trees, other trees in the area are young.
The different tree ages show that this is a healthy forest. This type of mixed forest makes up 20% of Ontario’s total forested area. The forest is home to many migratory birds like pileated woodpeckers. Predatory animals such as bears and wolves also call this type of forest home.
In the southernmost part of Ontario, you will find the deciduous forest. Visitors can discover this forest type between the shore of Lake Huron and the northern parts of Ontario and Lake Erie. This type of forest features broadleaf trees that will lose their leaves each season.
Although a deciduous tree will shed its leaves annually, many of the trees will not shed at the same time of year, maintaining a thick canopy of leaves in the forest. Common trees in this area include red maple, oaks, and black walnut trees. Visitors will also find aspens, elms, sugar maple, eastern hemlock, beeches, red pine, and yellow birch.
In the summer, it is not uncommon to find flowering shrubs or plants closer to the edges of the forest where there is better light. Although this type of forest is commonly found further south in the United States, only 3% of Canada’s forested area is dedicated to deciduous forest.
Sometimes, the deciduous forest area is referred to as the Carolinian forest. This terminology simply names the area of deciduous forest located within Ontario. There are over 500 species within this swatch of deciduous wildlife habitat growth that is considered rare.
Although this is a protected and beautiful area, the land is largely under attack due to logging and invasive farmland and vineyards. The natural resources found in this area are highly valuable. What used to include 80% forest cover in this area has shrunk to only 11% forest coverage in the past 100 years.
Forest management has been working diligently for years to protect and reverse the impact of logging and farming in the area.
Understanding the various forest types throughout Ontario can be confusing, especially for those unfamiliar with Ontario’s location and geography. Below, we have put together some commonly asked questions related to Ontario’s forests so you can better understand the forest region within this area.
How many forests are in Ontario?
Ontario has four major types of forests within this Canadian province. Each forest type is unique and different and contains its own ecozone with plants and animals specific to its region.
What are the different types of forests in Ontario?
There are four major forest types throughout Ontario, each with unique species of trees and animals. The four major forests include the Lowland area, boreal forest, Lawrence forest, and deciduous forest, also sometimes referred to as the Carolinian forest.
The northern Ontario area tends to see more coniferous tree types, while southern Ontario is home to mixed coniferous forests or deciduous forests. These areas are all classified differently due to their elevation and plant life.
What are the best places for forests in Ontario?
Finding the best forests in Ontario really depends on the type of forest you like. If you want to visit a boreal, coniferous forest, visiting northern Ontario parts will be the best place for you to travel. If you are more interested in the small but fascinating Ontario deciduous forest, then southern Ontario may be a better option for your travels.
What animal species are found in Ontario?
Because Ontario covers such a large and diverse region, several different animal species are found in this forest region. Large mammals including elk, polar bears, wolves, and caribou call Ontario home. Smaller mammals such as squirrels, hares, and foxes can also be found in the various forest regions.
The wetlands are homes to aquatic and amphibious animals like the gray tree frog and the rat snake. Countless birds live in Ontario, offering a range of beautiful sights for birders. Species range from threatened or endangered birds that can only be found in Ontario, such as the Golden Eagle and Barn Owl, to migratory birds and leave season after season.
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- Contains one (1) 15.8 oz. 60-count value pack of GREENIES PILL POCKETS Capsule Size Natural Dog Treats Chicken Flavor; MADE WITH NATURAL INGREDIENTS plus trace nutrients
- GREENIES Pill Pockets are the tasty, smarter way to help your dog’s medicine go down—without trying to hide pills in human food like messy peanut butter or cheese
- Your dog won’t be able to sniff out the medicine: Pill Pockets mask the smell and taste, and come in an irresistible chicken flavor for a stress- and mess-free experience for you both
- These Pill Pockets Dog Treats are a cinch to use: Drop the medicine tablet inside the pocket, pinch it closed, and give your best friend a tasty snack
- When it comes to meds, pets are smart—but you’re smarter: GREENIES Pill Pockets are a vet-recommended medicating treat hack you and your dog will love
- These easy-to-use medicating pouches make taking medicine a positive experience for your dog
- Contains one (1) 30 oz. tub of TEMPTATIONS Classic Cat Treats Tasty Chicken Flavor
- Your cat can’t wait to get their paws on these scrumptious cat food treats that are crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside
- Under 2 calories per chicken flavor cat treat, so you can feel good about rewarding your cat every day
- TEMPTATIONS Cat Treats are 100% nutritionally complete and balanced for adult cat maintenance and can be used as a treat, meal, or cat food topper
- Treat ’em again and again with this super value-sized resealable tub: perfect for keeping cat paws off when you’re not watching
- America’s #1 Cat Treat Brand*… just shake the pack and they’ll come running
- *Based on 2019 Nielsen sales data
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only