Where there is a tree, there is a squirrel. Everybody adores these cute little creatures hopping around, hiding, and cracking nuts. What if a squirrel encounters a fox? Both are wild and furry. I bet it will be a worth-watching scene.
Squirrel is a small-sized rodent belonging to the Sciuridae family of animals. They have slender bodies with long bushy tails and large eyes. In contrast, foxes are members of the Canidae family. Their skulls are flat, and snouts are upturned. Bushy tails are a key feature of all foxes.
Squirrels and foxes belong to two distinct groups. However, it is quite interesting that they bear some very striking similarities and dissimilarities. Let us dig deep into the squirrel vs. fox debate.
Table of Contents
- Squirrel vs. Fox: Similarities
- Squirrel vs. Fox: Differences
- Will Fox Eat the Squirrel?
- What is a Fox Squirrel?
Squirrel vs. Fox: Similarities
1. Both have Long Bushy Tail
Squirrels and foxes both have very similar bushy tails, which serve various functions:
- Balancing is the main purpose of a bushy tail. The long bushy tail helps balance squirrels and foxes when they jump from tree to tree.
- It serves as a blanket in winter. Squirrels and foxes tend to curl their fluffy tails around their bodies to get some warmth in the cold weather.
- They use their tails as protection from the enemies. When looked at from behind, a squirrel or a fox is completely hidden by the uprighted tail.
2. Both Are Omnivores
Most of us already know that foxes are omnivores and assume squirrels to be nut-crackers only. In actuality, squirrels are omnivores, meaning they can feed on both plants and meat.
3. Both Are Wild Animals
We can neither domesticate a squirrel nor a fox. In some states of the USA, it is even illegal to keep squirrels as pets. The reason is, squirrels and foxes are adapted to wildlife and space. It is inhumane to confine them in cages just for the entertainment purpose of Homo sapiens.
Squirrels are entertaining, but when it comes to making them a pet, it is extremely difficult because of their wild nature. Similarly, foxes can not be domesticated since their brains are not built to process commands. Also, they are incredibly shy of humans.
4. Both Are Viviparous Mammals
Squirrels and foxes share a common class of animal kingdoms. They are members of Class Mammalia. Both are viviparous, i.e., they give birth to their young ones, and the baby develops inside the mother’s uterus.
Squirrel vs. Fox: Differences
Despite being similar in many ways, squirrels and foxes can not be seen as close animal relatives as the list of their differences is quite long.
1. Relationship With Humans
Squirrels are very social and enjoy human company. They are extremely naughty and joyful. They love playing around on the trees or in the yard. If you hear a clitter sound in the backyard, it may be a squirrel playing hide and seek with his mate.
Contrary to squirrels, foxes are unbelievably shy creatures. They tend to keep a distance from humans. A fox, being an introvert, is very unlikely to mingle with other animals or humans.
2. Diurnal And Nocturnal
Squirrels are diurnal beings, which means that they are active in the light hours.
On the other hand, foxes usually come out to hunt and prey during the night. They are nocturnal animals, meaning they are active in the nighttime. Sometimes, foxes can roam about during the daytime too.
3. Some Squirrels Can Fly, But Foxes Can’t
According to research, almost 50 species of squirrels have flaps between the fore and hind limbs, forming false wings with which they can fly from tree to tree. These wings are in no way similar to that of the birds. And so, their flight is not the kind of actual flying. But squirrels can fly as high as 250 feet from one point to another.
Foxes are exclusively terrestrial. They can jump long distances but can not fly as flying squirrels do.
4. Squirrels Can Harm Themselves; Foxes Don’t
Squirrels can harm themselves, bite their hand or tail when they are irritated and furious. They can harm other animals and even humans also if they are feeling distressed.
On the other hand, foxes are not much harmful even when agitated. There are some rumors which make us assume foxes to be horrible monsters, but they never attack humans or other animals first. In case of hunger and any other necessity, foxes can be harmful but just to the extent of material damage.
The lifespan of squirrels is much longer than foxes. Squirrels can live up to fifteen to eighteen years, whereas foxes have an average span of three to four years.
6. Physical Differences
|They have a round skull.||Their skull is flat.|
|They have big hard incisors to facilitate nut cracking.||Larger canines are present in the buccal cavity of foxes to help tear flesh.|
|They have a normal and little snout.||Their snout is Upturned and pointed.|
|Their big eyes are round and cute.||They have the famous ‘foxy eyes.’|
|They range in color from grey, blond, white, red, and black.||Their color is different shades of red and orange.|
|Their forelimbs are smaller as compared to hind limbs, perfect for long-range jumps.||All limbs are of equal size.|
Will Fox Eat the Squirrel?
Foxes are omnivores. They can eat every eatable which comes their way. Unfortunate for squirrels! Yes, if there is a fight between a fox and a squirrel, the fox will win and make the squirrel the upcoming dinner.
What is a Fox Squirrel?
Sciurus niger, generally called a fox squirrel, is a squirrel in the original. It is named a fox squirrel because of its resemblance in color with a fox. The size of a fox squirrel is also the biggest of all tree squirrels.
All these features, including the bushy tail, make this squirrel look like a fox from a distance. A fox squirrel is not at all a mixture of a fox and a squirrel. Tap me on my back for telling you that!
Squirrels and foxes look sisters due to their color and bushy tails. They are kind of distant relatives according to biology and are similar and different in many ways.
I hope this article helped you in learning about squirrels and foxes. We love squirrels for their cute and mischievous nature and admire foxes for their elegance and beauty. Be it a squirrel or a fox; both are lovely creatures of mother nature.
The Humane Society of The United States: What to do about foxes
Pets on Mom.com: GRAY SQUIRREL & FOX SQUIRREL COMPARISON
Rover.com: The Truth about Dogs vs. Foxes
- It’s Not Water: Pooph is totally fragrance free because it eliminates odor instead of covering it up! Pooph contains no harsh chemicals—it’s a proprietary mineral-based formula so clean and pure you could actually mistake it for pure natural spring water until you actually use it and see for yourself how miraculously it works!
- Risk-Free Guarantee: Try POOPH for 30 days and if you aren’t happy, simply return it for a 100% no-hassle refund. Just send us a message via your Amazon order page and we’ll take care of the rest!
- Instant & Safe: Instantly and safely freshens and dismantles puppy, dog, cat, pet, and litter urine and feces odors on a molecular basis – so they never return! Safe for people, pets, plants, and the planet!
- Eliminates: Safely eliminates (doesn’t just cover up) urine, feces, vomit, and other pet odors that may invite your pets to defecate in the same spot over and over
- No stains & Fragrance Free: Contains a clear, odorless, and non-staining formula that freshens and eliminates odors and will not stain carpets, clothing, toys, and more - use in every room in your house
- PREMIUM QUALITY: A combination of premium texture and granule size made with 100% bentonite clay for maximum clumping creates litter particles that are just the right size.
- LOW DUST: Ideal for cats and owners who suffer from allergies with a 99.9% dust-free and hypoallergenic litter formulation.
- HARD CLUMPING: Hard clumping medium grain clay helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom of the tray and forms hard clumps that won't break down, making it easier to scoop.
- SUPERIOR ODOR CONTROL: Formulated for single or multi-cat households with natural ingredients to keep your home smelling clean and fresh between litter box cleanings.
- LOW TRACKING: A unique formulation of medium grain clay helps keep litter in the box where it belongs.
- FOUNDED IN 1987: Dr. Elsey’s is a veterinarian-owned cat product brand dedicated to creating products that solve the complex needs of pet owners. Founded in 1987 with the first all-natural clumping cat litter, Dr. Elsey’s line of products has since grown to include a variety of premium litters that address the health and behavioral needs of cats in every stage of life.
- Open four-arm frame design protects the blade and does not trap dirt in the case
- Lightweight case for easy handling and transport
- Dual-material grip elevated above the reel prevents contact between reel and knuckles
- Versatile folding end hook for use in multiple applications
- Rewind reel tucks away for protection during storage
- Amazon.com Gift Cards never expire and carry no fees.
- Multiple gift card designs and denominations to choose from.
- Redeemable towards millions of items store-wide at Amazon.com or certain affiliated websites.
- Available for immediate delivery. Gift cards sent by email can be scheduled up to a year in advance.
- No returns and no refunds on Gift Cards.
- Amazon.com Gift Cards can only be used to purchase eligible goods and services on Amazon.com and certain related sites as provided in the Amazon.com Gift Card Terms and Conditions. To purchase a gift card for use on an Amazon website in another country, please visit: Amazon.ca, Amazon.cn, Amazon.fr, Amazon.de, Amazon.in, Amazon.it, Amazon.co.jp, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.es, or Amazon.com.au.
- ROLL ON: Our compact and convenient dog poop bag refill rolls help you keep poop bags where you need them–everywhere.
- DURABLE & LEAKPROOF: Extra long, extra strong and 100% leak-proof guaranteed to keep hands clean on the go.
- BETTER BAGS : A new generation of high quality & durable dog poop bags made from 65% certified post-consumer recycled plastic. Giving a second life to over 5 million pounds of landfill-bound plastic a year recycled plastic.
- OUR MISSION: At Earth Rated, We are on a mission to make life with dogs simpler and better. We are also proudly B Corp Certified.
- WHAT'S INCLUDED: This pack includes 270 lavender scented Earth Rated dog poop bags that measure 9"x13" on 18 refill rolls.
- NO MORE HAIR EVERYWHERE: The ultimate pet hair roller for effective dog and cat hair removal. Far superior to traditional lint rollers for pet hair or sticky rollers, the ChomChom ensures deep cleaning.
- CONVENIENT: Take the ‘fur’ out of ‘furniture’ once and for all! Ideal for cleaning couches, pillows, rugs, and more. Whether it's furniture, your car, or a carpet, this pet lint roller is an essential tool for all pet owners.
- VERSATILE: Not just a dog lint roller, it's adept at cat hair removal too. The lint roller for pet hair extra sticky capability ensures every strand is picked up, leaving your spaces hair-free.
- EASY TO USE: Just roll back and forth along any surface to trap fur and lint into the built-in receptacle. When you’re all done, just press down on the release button to open the pet fur remover and empty it out completely. Purr-fectly simple!
- SUSTAINABLE - This reusable lint roller requires no adhesives or sticky tape, and can be used again and again.
- Super High Bounce: Better than standard tennis balls, the Ultra Ball is made of durable rubber yielding an ultra bouncy, exciting fetch experience on land or on water thanks to lightweight, bouyant design. Compatible with size Medium Chuckit Launchers
- Tough and Durable: This rugged dog fetch toy has a textured surface and a thick rubber core that can stand up to rough play yet is soft on dog's mouths. Not intended as a pure chew toy, always supervise your dog when playing with this toy
- Sizing matters: Size medium measures 2.5" in diameter and is best suited for dogs weighing 20-60lbs. Dog balls should be small enough for your dog to carry, but large enough that the ball can't completely fit in their mouth. When in doubt, buy a size up
- Make Fetch Happen: Chuckit Performance toys are designed with you and your dog in mind; Try our full range of indoor and outdoor interactive dog toys including tumblers, flyers, fetch toys, other balls for dogs and more
- ChuckIt Fetch Pet Toys: Chuckit makes indoor and outdoor dog toys that enrich the human-animal bond and helps dogs and puppies stay engaged. Try our full line of ball launchers, puppy toys, flying discs, tennis balls for dogs, dog chew toys, and more
- Contains one (1) 40 ounce package of small dog treats with real bone marrow (packaging may vary)
- The dog biscuit shell encases a real bone marrow center, delicious treats that you can feel good about giving
- Crunchy on the outside and meaty on the inside, our MaroSnacks dog snacks are a satisfying combo of texture and mouthwatering flavor
- Savory treats with calcium, perfect for dogs of all sizes
- Baked with love in Buffalo, New York, USA, with colors from natural ingredients only